Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Glee Project - Not a Class Act


I’m not a huge fan of Glee. Not a fan at all, actually. I like some of the songs they do on the show, but the show’s storyline is all about glorifying personal agendas and giving drama queens the spotlight. There’s already way too much drama in real life, we don’t need to see anymore, thank you very much.

But when I heard about The Glee Project, and that Celtic Thunder’s Damian would be on the show, I thought I’d check it out. The Glee Project is only in its second show, so there’s only so much I can say. But so far, I’m not so thrilled.

The show is not about singing. It’s about singing, dancing, and acting. The contestants have to show they can do all three, plus have a certain personality that allows them to be relateable to an audience. Glee’s writers want someone they can write for.

The contestants are all very unique individuals. Most of them can’t sing well and have out-there, annoying, and arrogant personalities. One of the girls, Emily, might be worse than Glee’s Rachel. Alex is the new Kurt Hummel, except his personality comes across as completely fake and "out there" only to push his sexual orientation in viewer's faces. Kurt, at least, comes off as real...ish.

There are a few gems on the show, however, such as Damian from Celtic Thunder. Unfortunately, he can’t dance too well, so I  don’t know if he’ll make it to Glee. (But his singing is obviously top-notch). Cameron, who looks like he was a part of Weezer, and Samuel, who has Jason Castro’s dreads but with a more confident personality, are other good contenders. They can sing, act and dance. Plus, no matter what they do, they look awesome doing it. 

The show is just another big ball of drama filled with fake personalities. I’ll probably keep watching it in the hopes that one of the three good guys make it, but I have to bear with the likes of Alex and Emily to get there.

If you like Glee, or the three good guys, I guess you'll watch it. But if you don’t care about Glee or Celtic Thunder, and you’re sick of mediocre, drama-filled TV…don’t bother with the show. Not so classy.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Totally agree with you, Therese. I've only read about and it sounds like no good, especially when I discovered it encourages homosexuality and mocks Fox News.

Unknown said...

Yep. And if everyone is so big on being "politically correct", they shouldn't push any agendas. They should just stick with good, entertaining storylines.