Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fathers, Be Good to Your Daughters

One thing I appreciate most about my father is that he has taught me something very important, especially as someone who plans on getting married in the future: how to be loved. We learn from our parents how to love by their self-sacrificing acts for each other and for their children. For girls, fathers have the special role of being the example of how they should be treated by other men. 

Fortunately, I’m blessed with a wonderful father who has shown my mother respect and self-sacrificial love. He puts her before himself. He treats her with sensitivity and gentleness. He’s definitely not “whipped”, either - he is fully man, and gives that completely to my mother. And she gives herself equally back, on her part. 

Seeing this in my father, growing up, has shown me that the man I marry should treat me this way. I know, by his example, that I am a beautiful daughter of God who deserves to be treated as such. It makes me sad to know that there are beautiful girls out there who don’t have the gift of a father who treats their mother that way, and therefore wasn’t a good example of how they should be loved.

John Mayer’s song “Daughters” puts it beautifully. He captures how crucial it is for a father to be that loving example in the family, because the children will grow up and do the same. 

Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

I’m so blessed that my father has been this for me. My prayers go out to those who never had that. But I know that I can take what I’ve been given and give that good example back to my children one day.

Thank you, Daddy, for being good to me.

No comments: